Nov 18, 2010

Lenin's Hanf - Aromatic Helles




















Lenin's Hanf in german means "Lenin's hemp". The beer is named after one of the (if not the only) owner of Neustädter Hausbrauerei, but it also brings to the mind the name of the former Soviet dictator. That should make a lot of sense when I tell you that this beer is produced in Dresden, German city that was on the East side of the Iron Curtain untill the reunification.

Produced by a small home brewery, this beer contains Hemp flowers as aromatics. The flowers give a slightly sweet taste to this 5,2% helles beer. As you can see in the pictures, the only label is a small printed and clipped piece of paper that comes around the bottles neck.

I don't usually make comparisons in this blog, but the other hemp beer already posted wasn't as half as good as this one... and this is probably one of the very rare beers in my collection, once the production and distribution is quite restricted! But it was not that easy to aquire...

A fellow collector (Andreas) and I were visiting a friend (Lorenzo), in Dresden, when we came accross this beer in a club at the city center. As usual in clubs, you are not allowed to leave the place carrying glasses or bottles, and I was already planning how to hide it under my jacket when Andreas told me something like "It's allright, I talked to the waitress, we can take the bottles".

The only problem is that the bouncers didn't believe Andreas as I did, and it took us some time to get the waitress to come and explain the whole ordeal... in the end, we had to leave the bar with the bottles under the jacket anyways... next time, we do it my way!! ;)

Link to the producer: http://www.obergaerig.de/seite2_hausgebraute_biere_aus_der_neustadt.html

No comments:

Post a Comment