Jul 9, 2011

Li Zhi pi jiu - Lychee beer


This is a curiosity in my collection. This beer, as the name suggests, has chinese origins, but, according to the label, it was somehow produced in Germany.

I came across this 330ml bottle while checking a Getränkemarkt (drinks market) in Karlsruhe, Germany. My personal story behind this beer is pretty much the same as the chili beer posted a few weeks ago, but what is really curious about this one is the fact that it contains a quite unusual ingredient for beers... Lychees.

In this 5,5% beer, the slight taste of Lychees is present as a sweet background, not enough to cover the taste of the beer (what would spoil it) but also not enough to bring a big remark about it.

I tried to find some source of information about this beer, but the simple name and lack of indications in the label make this work quite difficult. Yes, I said simple name, the name 'Li Zhi pi jiu' might look fancy and exotic to westerns like me, but it means nothing more than 'Lychee beer' in chinese.

So even if I have to finish this post without a link, I can still bring some piece of information... if you're ever in China, search the menu for these symbols: 啤酒, they mean 'beer' in chinese. Or just learn to say 'Píjiǔ' without an accent, it's easier and should suffice...

4 comments:

  1. I had this beer once, can't find it again, and your site is the only site anywhere that mentions it. Would love to know the brewery, alcohol content, etc. if you happen to know. zipzilla@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have really imparted useful tips/ knowledge about Lychee Beer

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry I cannot bring more light over this beer...

    Unfortunatly DHL made me the biggest favor of smashing this bottle to pieces during transport, so I can't even double check it.

    I can't promise anything as to now, but I will visit Karlsruhe in the next months and will check around for this beer again.

    ReplyDelete